Mould & Indoor Air Testing in Niagara

To protect your home from black mould or toxic mould, contact Elementary Property Inspections for mould & indoor air quality testing in Niagara, St. Catharines, Welland, Fort Erie, Port Colborne, Fonthill, Grimsby, Stoney Creek.

Every Canadian spends on average 90% of the time indoors, mostly in the home. Many of us are concerned about outdoor air pollution. Very few people, however, think about the quality of our indoor air. Do we really understand that this constant sneezing in the bedroom may be caused by a brand-new carpet we bought few months ago? Or that bleeding nose is attributed to the mould growing under the toilet tank? Probably not. But excessive moisture, mould, pets, chemical contaminants, other substances can cause a poor air quality that leads to health problems of the occupants.

A lot of people end up just treating the symptoms of mould exposure and never get to the root of the problem. Often times they don’t even know that mould is the cause of their allergies and skin problems.

You might not realize that mould spores are universal. They are outside and the moment you open your window or door they come inside. If the levels are low they present no problem. But when you have high indoor humidity and areas of high moisture the mould can grow to ten, or a hundred and even a thousand times higher than outdoor levels and this will clearly cause problems.

  • What is Mould?

    Mould, also known as fungus, is a family of organisms that are found throughout nature. Unlike plants, mould need food and water sources to thrive. This food source is often in the form of a carbohydrate material, such as wood or cellulose. Mould grows in units called mycelium and reproduce through the formation of spores. Spores frequently become airborne, and like pollen, can cause allergic disease.

  • Symptoms that Indicate You May Have a Mould Problem

    One of the factors that make diagnosing a mold allergy problematic is that mould can affect your body in several different ways. Some start having memory problems, while another may be experiencing a sudden change in disposition, such as agitation, anger, panic, or aggression. Headaches are common but don’t affect everyone exposed to mold. Other symptoms can include:

    • Coughing and wheezing
    • Sinus problems and post-nasal drip
    • Itchy rashes
    • Joint pain
  • Moulds in Your Home Can Cause Health Problems and Structural Damage

    The home buying and selling community is abuzz with talk about insurance and liability issues involving stachybotrys chartarum, also known as black mould or toxic mould. Some homeowners have even burned down their homes, and everything in them, because they felt it was the only way to eradicate toxic mould from their surroundings.

  • What Types of Diseases Can Mould Cause?

    Mould has well-known associations with human disease. People can develop fungal infections of various types, especially those with poorly functioning immune systems. Fungi are also known to produce toxins, which have been blamed for causing various diseases.

    Moulds can also cause severe immune reactions because of colonizing (living in, but not causing an actual infection) the lungs (hypersensitivity pneumonitis) and the sinuses. Moulds are also well known to cause various allergic diseases, such as allergic rhinitis and allergic asthma.

  • What is Toxic Mould?

    Toxic mould is a type of mould that produces hazardous byproducts, called mycotoxins. While individuals with asthma and other respiratory problems may have reactions to many types of mould, it’s thought that mycotoxins are more likely to trigger health problems in even healthy individuals. These toxins are believed to be linked to memory loss and to severe lung problems in infants and the elderly.

    Floating particles of mould are invisible to the naked eye, so it’s impossible to see where they might have landed until they begin to grow. Loose mould particles that accumulate on items within a house are easily inhaled and can be a constant irritation to the people and pets who live there.

    The toxic mould we hear most about is Stachybotrys chartarum, a slimy, greenish-black mould that grows on moisture-laden materials that contain cellulose, such as wood, paper, drywall, and other similar products. It does not grow on tile or cement.

    Even if the mould in your home is not toxic mould, it can still be a problem, because any mould growing on organic materials will in time destroy them–and too much mould of any type smells bad and degrades air quality.

  • Mould thrives in damp, humid conditions:

    • Bathrooms with poor ventilation. Install an exhaust fan if possible. Leaky water pipes. Repair them immediately. Roof leaks. Repair them right away. Flood aftermath. Repair as soon as possible.
    • Clothes dryers and exhaust fans that vent under the house or back into the room. Vent them to the outside.

    1. If you suspect you have a mould problem, let us deal with it!

    2. We will conduct a visual inspection of your property to identify sources of moisture and areas for sampling. We will then conduct the necessary air and/or surface sampling, and laboratory analysis to provide results and recommendations that you can understand. If necessary, we can set you up with the correct remediation services, and ensure that clean-up has been successful.